This page is no longer updated. I leave it online for archival purposes only.
Here are English versions of two supremely important documents: Règlement P-6 (anti-mask, anti-spontaneous demonstration, etc.) and Bill 78 (bans spontaneous demonstrations, picketing of classrooms, etc.).
This list is non-exhaustive: it covers the very bare bones of this massive contestation of the neoliberalization of Quebec. Notably, it does not (directly) cover issues like: the effect of the fee hike on racialised, migrant and indigneous students and families, on queers, on people with disabilities, on women, on student-parents, etc. It furthermore does not make the link—being amply made in the street!—between this particular struggle and the on-going fight against the endemic corruption of this province’s government (on all levels). In any case, share your articles in the comments below – let’s keep the list growing!
English-language translation projects providing information and updating on a regular basis:
Angus Johnston (a.k.a studentactivism), a specialist in student movements and an activist in the U.S., has blogged quite a bit about what’s going on. here are some good, short, readable backgrounders:
- Quebec’s new anti-protest law could shut down student associations for years
- Quebec moves toward passage of sweeping anti-protest law
- Quebec’s slapdash cutting of civil liberties
- Riot police and pepper spray at Quebec colleges
- Quebec student strike rolls on
- Student negotiators say QC altered agreement behind their backs
- And more! Just go through the pages of the blog.
this article on the chronicle of higher education website is a great summary: “the biggest student uprising you’ve never heard of”.
Here are a bunch of articles I have shared/found useful.
- The Guardian – Comment is Free – Quebec student protests mark “Maple Spring”
- Al-Jazeera – In Pictures – Canada’s Student Protests (22 May)
- Rabble – Solidarity and legal support needed
- The Gazette – Students may be ready to compromise
- 2b – Why protest bill 78
- Globe&Mail – Legal experts say QC law tramples rights
- Guardian – Comment is Free – Truncheon law rebounds
- Amnesty International’s report
POLICE VIOLENCE / MASS ARRESTS
- Openfile – More than 500 arrested
- Toronto Star – Brewery takes shot at law 78
- Openfile - Students arrested in buses leaving Victoriaville in legal waiting game
- Huffington Post – I’m not a Quebec protester, but police assaulted me anyway
- Forget the Box – It starts in Quebec
- Montreal Gazette – Fatigue takes toll on police
- The Guardian – Comment is Free – Canada should heed QC student protests
- New York Times – Our not so friendly northern neighbor
- Waging War on Violence – How students are painting Montreal red
- Outside the Circle – Je t’adore, Montréal (Day 105 of student strike; day 34 of nighttime demos)
- Rabble - Quebec’s students are winning